[GNC-dev] UK VAT - Making Tax Digital

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 17:02:30 EDT 2018

On 11/1/2018 12:12 PM, Clint Redwood wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I’ve been using GNUcash to manage my company accounts for 10 years, but a change in the UK law means that all VAT will need to be submitted electronically from an accounting package from April 2019.

  FIRST need to settle the literal wording of the requirement.

Submitted electronically  FROM the accounting package? (meaning NOTHING
in between)

Or submitted electronically -- the accounting package must be able to
produce output that can be submitted electronically. Thus the previously
existing "accounting package" PLUS whatever is connecting to the
governmental agency and electronically sending it data is now "the package".

Those are NOT the same thing.

I'll leave it up to the UK folks to determine what the new requirement
is. Except to point out, as a person who in my working days did software
for one of the world's largest "financials", I would have my doubts
about the former interpretation << our systems were composed of LOTS of
programs sending data to each other --- what would be meant by THE
accounting package >>

Michael D Novack