[GNC-dev] [GNC] mysql backend, second user (lock, for example)

craigarno craig at arno.com
Mon Nov 5 15:29:41 EST 2018

Ok, think I see how GnuCash User/devel lists are organized, think I'm on dev
right now???

Phil's point is a valid one, Observer pattern works fine in local code on
the local machine, but how do you get SQL database notification of an update
to "trigger" an update cycle in other remote machines so a brute force
polling mechanism isn't required?  i.e. don't want to burn up expensive
internet data/bandwidth and potentially suffer poor gnucash performance due
to "modem link" type network latency/speeds from a machine which is
potentially half way around the world in a hotel room in India with poor
connectivity issues (better be TCP for error detection/correction)?

Maybe  this link
<https://solutioncenter.apexsql.com/get-an-alert-when-a-certain-record-changes/>
will provide clues?
https://solutioncenter.apexsql.com/get-an-alert-when-a-certain-record-changes/

Otherwise, no as a user, I don't want additional server software and
complication.  This should be done completely within the GnuCash application
with nothing more than a stock database (MySQL/MariaDB) in a LAMP setup (and
maybe Windows), and stock libdbi API's.

Craig

--
Sent from: http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GnuCash-Dev-f1435356.html