[GNC-dev] [GNC] mysql backend, second user (lock, for example)

Craig Arno craig at arno.com
Wed Nov 7 19:57:55 EST 2018

On 11/7/2018 4:14 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> Not my understanding of “heavy database updates” (which would be
> something like > 100K TPS), but OK.
Yeah, I may not be using the right terminology, but look at my
suggestions as generally correct if not using the right glossary.  In
the database arena I'm more of a semi-sophisticated user than a domain
expert.  I assume you are a domain expert, at least relative to my
database experience, an opportunity for me to learn.  What may be
confusing is I do have a lot of engineering experience.

In this case I considered processing two asynchronous events (second+
user) arriving at the same time, not raw processing throughput, a
different kind of performance.  Even the "sync data" proposal in a SOHO
environment shouldn't stress today's multi-core, gigabit memory
commodity computers for throughput in a SOHO environment.  I'm thinking
more race conditions caused by async (two+ user) events.  Still thinking
SOHO.

On 11/7/2018 4:16 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> That’s a lot more complex than any backend I’d want to implement, but
> fortunately GnuCash’s backends are plugins so you’re welcome to write
> a separate one.
Fair enough.  Hopefully architecture framework design decisions can
support this sort of future "plugin" expansion.  Guess I'd better look
for "plugin support documentation", see what I can figure out.