[GNC-dev] Gnucash and the UK's "Making Tax Digital" initiative

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Nov 19 18:30:55 EST 2018

Hi all,

I just learned with some shock that the UK wants to force SMEs to submit VAT returns “via external software packages” by 1 April 2019, and presents a list of some 150 packages to choose from. If you’re lucky enough to already be using one of those packages, great. If you’re not, you’re facing some disruption.

Gnucash is not on the list (that I could see).

We are not in a position to re-engineer our accounts, but we are in a position to submit patches to Gnucash.

This email is exploratory - is anyone on the gnucash dev list interested in the UK “Making Tax Digital” initiative, with the aim of getting Gnucash “on the list” of approved software? Has anyone done any work in this area?

I am still looking for concrete information on the protocols being used, if anyone has information on that it would be useful too.

Regards,
Graham
—