[GNC-dev] Wiki FAQ Page

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 4 11:04:07 EDT 2018

> On Sep 4, 2018, at 7:43 AM, David T. via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am digging in to the FAQ page with an eye to rationalizing the accumulated mess. My hope is to make it easier for uers to find answers to their questions.
>
> Currently, the structure of the page does not accurately reflect the content of the questions. For example, the section “Installation Troubleshooting” covers two broad and disparate question areas.
>
> In addition, numerous questions have been placed haphazardly in sections to which they do not belong. For example, questions about theming do not belong under Installation (for Mac or Windows), but IMHO under “GnuCash Files and managing a GnuCash installation”, which itself would be better named “Configuring and Managing”
>
> On a practical level, as I rearrange the FAQ on some pretty substantial levels, questions and headings on the page will be changed.
>
> First issue: I do not see a way to see whether the wiki has any instances of links to a specific question. Clicking “What links here” only shows links to the overall FAQ page.
>
> Second issue: many links from the mailing lists will no longer work, which may cause problems for users searching the ML archives and retrieving the stale links. How should this be handled?
>
> Now, on a meta-level, I think the primary headings here might be better arranged as follows:
>
> 1. General Questions
>  [move “Accounting Questions” to this section]
> 2. Installation
> 3. Using GnuCash [moved ahead of cunfiguring]
> 4. Configuring and Managing
>  [Move “Customizing" questions from current section 8 to this section]
> 5. Troubleshooting
> 6. Exporting and Importing Data
> 7. Business Features
>  [Move entire Developing GnuCash section of questions to the pages established for Developers]
>
> I welcome input and feedback.

David,

It’s painful, but I think the only way to find links to specific anchors is to copy the (old) question and paste it into the search field. You should get a context menu, the last line of which is “contains xxx”. Click that.

Fortunately if you just move questions without rephrasing them it won’t affect the anchors at all.

Regards,
John Ralls