[GNC-dev] Wiki FAQ Page

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 6 11:45:10 EDT 2018

Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> writes:

> Yeah, those seem to be internal to the wiki, not an external broken
> link. But then, if the page itself isn’t changing, just the named
> anchor, it might not matter. The page still exists, so someone
> clicking an FAQ link from a mailing list message will still get
> dropped into the same page, but if the named anchor is not found,
> they’ll be focused to the top of the page rather than the intended
> place. Essentially then that named anchor will function as a basic
> page anchor which is just fine.

I think it would still matter.  Often we use the anchor to point users
to a specific question.

Let's assume a question gets rephrased.  That will change the anchor.
The GOOD news is that following the link to the old phrasing will still
get you to the right page, but it wont get you to the specific question
on the page (because the anchor changed).  If this happens, the user
might not know what (rephrased) question answers the question they were
trying to answer.  This is why we would want a redirect.

I SUPPOSE that I can fix this via some htaccess redirects, but it would
be better if the redirection could happen within the wiki itself.