[GNC-dev] GNOME Template in Guide but not Help

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:54:10 EDT 2018

Hi David,

Am 07.09.2018 um 17:29 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> Hello,
>
> In digging around the documentation source XML files (gnucash-help.xml and gnucash-guide.xml) I noticed that gnucash-guide.xml includes:
>
> <!--
>       (Do not remove this comment block.)
>   Template Maintained by the GNOME Documentation Project:
> 	  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp
>   Template version: 2.0 beta
>   Template last modified Feb 12, 2002
> -->
>
> I tried the link, but it is broken, moreover, gnucash-help.xml does not include this information. Is this supposed to be here, and if so, why isn’t it used in gnucash-help.xml?

As you can see from the date in the template and John mentioned before
in another thread, almost our whole docs build system was unmaintained
for over a decade.

In Gnome 2 this templates were replaced by the GNOME Documentation Build
Utilities (GDU). See my "research" in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Gnome_Doc_Utils

ISTM that I opened a bug report too, but can not find it now.

For some unknown reason, help has the template in each chapter. Probably
the maintainer at that time was testing the right way and got disrupted.
I /believe/, having one template per book, not per chapter is the right way.

The purpose is to collect the infos required to generate the OMF, the
digital equivalent of the index cards in the library.

The question, when I got distracted, was:
should we make GDU a build dependency or must we adapt the useful parts?

Or in other words: can we keep our translations as they are or requires
GDU to convert them to gettext-po files. The downside of po files can be
seen in out frozen italian translation.

> David

HTH
Frank