[GNC-dev] Long Term Documentation Directions

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 11 20:12:01 EDT 2018

Hi John,

I do understand that alternatives to docbook are being considered.

I keep referring to it primarily because it is the current format, rather
than necessarily the best or even what may be used in future. Perhaps with
an assumption that whatever format is decided on, it will at least have the
same conversion capabilities and the ability to construct an automated build
workflow as are present in the current documentation tool chain.

Also as a way of arguing for not embedding context sensitive help in hard
code if it is avoidable. I do take the point though that such information
does only change slowly if at all so I think a separate file perhaps with a
more restricted editing access could be a way to handle that.

The availability of some good open source free wsiwyg editors for markdown
would certainly help  documenters with a less technical background and
pandoc seems to be capable of building into a toolchain for converion for
example. I haven't found out yet whether it uses some form of xls to control
the conversion which is customizable.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens