[GNC-dev] Yet another documentation compiling oddity

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Sep 15 01:26:36 EDT 2018

Op vrijdag 14 september 2018 16:55:33 CEST schreef David T. via gnucash-devel:
> Hello,
>
> As I am toiling through the depths of the documentation generation process,
> I am struck by the fact that the base page of the Help is “help.html”,
> while the base page for the guide is “index.html”.
>
> For consistency, I suggest naming the guide base page “guide.html”;

If we change it for consistency I'm inclined to rename both to index.html. That will help web
servers to open the correct start page if users omit it and would be consistent with how
websites are generally set up.

It's been a long while since last time I was focusing on the documentation sources. I remember
noticing the inconsistency back then as well. But for some reason I had decided not to change it.
I know that if we do so we'll have to make adjustments to the integrated help and guide display
on Macos, to the build system for gnucash on Windows, for the nightly build script for
documentation and for the website. Perhaps I considered that too much effort back then. I'm
less worried about that now and I like consistency so I'll see if I can coordinate this change with
Derek.

> moreover, I suggest having a simple “index.html” placed in the
> documentation root folder (for me, that will be gnucash-docs/build”):

I actually like this idea. It would give a local webpage to quickly open all available
documentation in the current build environment.

Geert