[GNC-dev] README Overview; was: Gnome HIG

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 12:55:03 EDT 2018

> On Sep 15, 2018, at 5:29 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As we are already there,
>
> one of you Davids might also review
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/README section overview,
>
> and probably  files in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/doc
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash-docs/blob/maint/gnucash-docs.spec.in
> which borrow the intro
>
> There have been "shiny new features" of 1.x which no one any longer
> would mention for the 3.x series.

Honestly, I think the text in the README would more accurately reflect John’s concerns about the breathless tone found in the Guide, and so I am more likely to put *that* text into the Guide, rather go the other way.

Furthermore, in the interest of eliminating bit rot and in using the right tool for the right job, I would strip the README back drastically to cover only basic technical details on downloading, installing, and running GnuCash. Everything else should go, IMHO.

David