[GNC-dev] Documentation update problems

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 11:24:05 EDT 2018

Frank,

> On Sep 17, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
> Am 17.09.18 um 14:59 schrieb David T.:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can anyone give me clear language on when and why a documentation creator would need to reissue the commands in Initializing Documentation Build Environment? I’d like to clear this issue up on the wiki before it gets lost.
>>
>> David
>
> because of some general confusion about the term make i.e. in
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/The_Make_Utility, I created recently
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Build_Tools. It might still be incomplete
> or contain errors, so improvements are welcome. Feel free to link it,
> where ever required.

I worked a bit on Build Tools to make the flow seem more natural; see whether you agree.

With the rearrangement, I remain unclear on the last portion of the Autotools section, beginning with “So there remain 3 basic steps”

Does the following changed text capture your intent?

When using Autotools, there are 3 commonly-used commands:

• autogen.sh, which should be run after you check out a copy of the repository.
• configure [options], which should be run after you install updates of your tools {not sure which tools?} or modify either makefile.am or configure.ac
• make <target>, which is run after making edits. Common targets are all, check, and install.

Note that which build directory you use will affect the scope and output of your command.

I will note that for me, I *still* don’t know when I am required to re-run autogen.sh or configure; is there any downside to simply running them every time I mess around with the docs?

David

P.S. - As a professionally-trained librarian, I hesitate to engage in categorization of the wiki. I am not prepared to develop a logical taxonomy for the wiki at this time, and half-baked taxonomies grate upon my sensibilities.