[GNC-dev] Documentation update problems

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 12:23:23 EDT 2018

Am 17.09.18 um 17:24 schrieb David T.:
> Frank,
>
>> On Sep 17, 2018, at 10:47 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Am 17.09.18 um 14:59 schrieb David T.:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can anyone give me clear language on when and why a documentation creator would need to reissue the commands in Initializing Documentation Build Environment? I’d like to clear this issue up on the wiki before it gets lost.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>> because of some general confusion about the term make i.e. in
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/The_Make_Utility, I created recently
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Build_Tools. It might still be incomplete
>> or contain errors, so improvements are welcome. Feel free to link it,
>> where ever required.
>
> I worked a bit on Build Tools to make the flow seem more natural; see whether you agree.

I am no fan of "__NOTOC__" because I want often send a deep link (read
page#section) to a user on IRC or MLs.

The order was historical, so one could add "CMake has the following
benefits over autotools ..."

> With the rearrangement, I remain unclear on the last portion of the Autotools section, beginning with “So there remain 3 basic steps”
>
> Does the following changed text capture your intent?
>

> ----------------
> When using Autotools, there are 3 commonly-used commands:
>
> • autogen.sh, which should be run after you check out a copy of the repository.
> • configure [options], which should be run after you install updates of your tools {not sure which tools?} or modify either makefile.am or configure.ac
> • make <target>, which is run after making edits. Common targets are all, check, and install.
>
> Note that which build directory you use will affect the scope and output of your command.
> ----------------
>
> I will note that for me, I *still* don’t know when I am required to re-run autogen.sh or configure; is there any downside to simply running them every time I mess around with the docs?

Because I saw the waekness, I worked on the section again. Can you reload?
And yes, apply Johns answer. I will leave the page for now.

> David
>
> P.S. - As a professionally-trained librarian, I hesitate to engage in categorization of the wiki. I am not prepared to develop a logical taxonomy for the wiki at this time, and half-baked taxonomies grate upon my sensibilities.

Yes, we might probably run in problems later. Despite it seems useful.
Just add from the list at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Special:Categories
See also:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Wiki_Conventions#Categories