[GNC-dev] Documentation update problems

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 18 04:19:02 EDT 2018

John, David, Frank

I wonder at the value of the Build Tools page as a separate orphan entity
given the more detailed instructions given in the Building Gnucash page.
There is a fairly good example of dupllcation with it and the following for
the Gnucash progarm build.

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building

and the breakout from it for recent Ubuntu versions

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04

The main building page is a massive tome. I did start breaking out some
parts of it into smaller logical chunks when I updated the BuildUbuntu16.04
( which covers 16.04, 18.04 and Linux MInt 18 and 19 in effect.). The Build
Tools page may be a logical breakout from there with some of the detail in
the first page cut into it. There is also a short summary recipe for
building the Docs at the end of the BuildUbuntu16.04 page which lacks detail
but does work on Ubuntu and most linux distros. It has no details about the
dependencies in it though.

Would a page on building the docs be better as a breakout from the main
building Gnucash page perhaps with a shared section on the build tools
referenced from both. For build instructions I ususaly find the recipe the
most useful bit with explantions of the specific tools as breakouts. If you
need the information and background you can follow the links. If you only do
a build occasionally you follow the recipe.  I.e only read the manual when
you have to.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens