[GNC-dev] Documentation Redo

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Sep 18 12:50:39 EDT 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 7:58 AM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Once again, my words have gotten the better of me. I apologize for the length of this message...
>
> I have to admit that I do not understand what part of this research qualifies it for an IgNobel—was it the “well, duh!” aspect, or was it that these folks took seven years to determine this, or was it that they were able to convince some funding agency to support it the whole time?
>
> Setting that aside for a moment, it *is* useful to acknowledge that most people’s help preference is “to click around and get help when I need it.” TBH, that’s my style—although once I’ve done that a while, I am quite likely to sit down and read in more depth. While I doubt anyone is eager to strip out features from GnuCash (Budgets, anyone?), I think we *can* consider that perhaps our assistance modes might need to be reconsidered.
>
> I have been focused on moving detailed information OUT of Help and putting it INTO the Guide, based on my own preferences and experiences with GnuCash. Perhaps that is misguided, insofar as most users aren’t turning to this resource consistently.
>
> Assuming that a well-written but overlooked Guide is the proverbial falling tree in the forest, how should we be leading the Roaming Clicker to our oasis of Help? I think it is clear from the list traffic that we have quite a bit of room for improvement: new users regularly ask for help on topics that have coverage in the Help, the Guide and/or the wiki. So, we need to be looking for Something Better.
>
> Bearing in mind the amount of work already placed in the existing documentation, I believe that we can establish a clear Assistance Continuum that uses context help to direct users to specific sections of the Guide. I have mentioned  this in other discussions recently, but I want to reiterate it here. We should transition the Context Help to contain brief descriptions with a “For more on this topic, see” link to the Guide in every instance. I believe this would support the needs of Roaming Clickers reasonably well, using the resources we have already got.

> [...]

Well, the title made *me* laugh, and the paper has clearly gotten us thinking, so it fulfills the IgNobel mission, to identify research “that makes you laugh, then makes you think”.

Anyway, on to how to structure the documentation.

Links between context help and the Guide should be pretty straightforward, though at present they depend on the DocBook xslt doing the right thing across Yelp, Windows Help, and regular HTML. We might have to tweak the xslt a bit to make sure we get the desired results on all three.

IIUC our wiki software (mediawiki) is already built around a SQL database. SQL databases are really good at searching metadata that’s broken out into separate fields and really poor at searching for content within a single field. Articles in mediawiki are stored in a single field, which is why searches suck. The mediawiki  folks have given some thought [1] to metadata but there’s no real guidance. A nosql [2] based wiki might well provide better search, but I didn’t find any. I think that leaves us with Google. I have had Google searches return direct links to sections of Wikipedia pages (the headline link is the page, but underneath there will be a link called “jump directly to <section name>”). We'd need to figure out how to make that work on our wiki.

The problem with a search-based solution is that the results are non-deterministic. We could include a “Search the GnuCash Wiki for foo” link on every context help item, but there’s no guarantee that searching for foo will actually find anything and even if it does that any of it will be relevant to the context help item... though we might be able to increase the odds by somehow tagging articles or article anchors with the context-help topic. We’d need a way to make sure that those tags stayed current and correct.

While we’re at it we should consider making more concrete the separation between “Tutorial” and “Concepts Guide” and I suppose decide how to host each and how much detail to incorporate in the latter. To elaborate, I don’t think we want to write our own accounting textbook. There are plenty out there already, written by people with much better understanding of the subject and better writing skills. We do want to explain why GnuCash is based on accounting and why a prospective user needs to understand it at at least the Accounting-101 level. Beyond that I suppose Concepts Guide part would explain how GnuCash implements various accounting principles and the underlying data structure and terms.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_metadata <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_metadata>
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoSQL