[GNC-dev] Documentation update problems

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Sep 18 14:04:22 EDT 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 12:16 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Along with that, if older material for older systems and versions isn’t going to be moved to its own ‘archive’ page, then it should always appear down the page in chronological order. The current state of the build instructions is a bit messy in that regard.
>
> Older content should be removed altogether, not archived.

I should have specified that what I meant by ‘older material’ was the instructions for say building 2.6.x using Autotools instead of Cmake, or building either 2.6.x or 3.x on 14.04. (which admittedly will be unsupported in less than 8 months) Obsolete instructions should be removed entirely. But if something changes between now and say Ubuntu 20.04 that would necessitate different treatment, then the current instructions should be archived or bumped down the page, not removed, because 16.04 & 18.04 will still be supported and in active use.

Though, and I may be misunderstanding the GnuCash support policy, if 2.6.x is not being actively developed (is that not the same thing as ‘not supported’?) then the recipe should be for 3.x with Cmake only.

As for different architectures and distros, I should think any notes are just specific quirks based on what may or may not be on the system by default. I should think the dependencies are what they are, and the recipe should be the same. (disclosure - I’m not familiar with building on a regular basis on different systems other than MacOS and Ubuntu/Debian)

Regards,
Adrien