[GNC-dev] Documentation update problems

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 19 17:51:35 EDT 2018

John, Geert, Adrien, David

Thanks for all the prespectives. I will attempt a restructure of the Building Gnucash page and its derivatives, trying
to push as much information back to the generic Linux level as I can from the BuildingUbuntu 16.04 pages. I have no
experience of building on Windows or MacOS X so I will definitely leave that to someone else. I'll start with Geert's
comments as an overall plan and try to address the rest of your comments. I can set VMs up for the other distros so I
can check them out a bit better

With the dependencies I compiled as complete a list as I was able to from my own experience and other users experiences
when a lot of people were building v3.0-3.2 as it wasn't available from the distros. . I had a clean Linux Mint install
at the time I did that so I captured a few that are usually already installed once you get a bit of other software on
board. Some distros do seem to use slightly different names for some libraries and headers so perhaps a warning to check
your own distros naming using the equivalent of apt-cache search. I'll do as much as I can from the online documentation
for the other distros. I  I'll have a closer look and if I can get away perhaps with a subsitute "dnf" and "yum"and
"apt" for apt-get as a note along the lines if compiling on xxx subsitute yyy for apt-get in the following.

I was reluctant originally to touch the Fedora and Gentoo sections as I hadn't had any experience of them. It would
appear the major difference is likely to be the name of the package manager on the various distros. I appreciate there
are sometimes also slight differences in the interpretation of the Linux File Heirarchy as well.

I'll come back when I've done a restructure and get everyone to check it out

David Cousens