[GNC-dev] ImpEx Sample files

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Sep 19 18:46:07 EDT 2018

Frank,

I too had a look around and couldn't find any sample/test files but I had found the SWIFT and DTAUS. I am surprised the
maintainers of the standards don't generate them to allow testing for compliance. If absolutely necessary I will
generate my own. I'm reluctant to produce my own as there is no guarantee that they will conform but anything is better
than nothin. I guess there is a lot of work in defining a sample file which tests all possible nuances of a given
formatand particularly so when there is continuing development

Thanks for the information on the set of sample files.I'll check them out and add any I do manage to find.

On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 17:46 +0200, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> Am 18.09.18 um 15:00 schrieb David Cousens:
> > One problem I will have is getting sample files for the MT940, MT942 and DTAUS formats so I can run through the
> > interfaces. I have a friend who was a manager with Deutsche Bank a few years ago but Klaus is now working for
> > another
> > company in Melbourne.
> >
> > If you know where I can find any sample files I would appreciate getting hold of them.  It would be good to have a
> > collection of  sample files for testing Gnucash in any case as part of the program. No problem for the internal ones
> > that Gnucash can export.
>
> In theory we keep a set of sample files in
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/maint/doc/examples and might add
> the missing there, if we get them, too.
>
> MTxxx formats
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWIFT_message_types
> are defined by SWIFT
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_Worldwide_Interbank_Financial_Telecommunication
>
> There is Transition in progess from ISO 7775 over ISO 15022 to ISO 20022
> The genaral standard
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_15022
> has in 2 flavours:
> traditional line oriented MT-formats (message types)
> and modern UNIFI (ISO 20022) xml files aka MX-format
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_20022
> Often the german wiki page has more details like field descritions. But
> I didn't see nice example files.
>
> DTA
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datentr%C3%A4geraustauschverfahren
> Was introduced by the german bank association ZKA
> - today: https://die-dk.de/en/ -
> in 1976 for magnetic tapes, later floppies, ...
> 2016-02-01 it was officially abandoned and replaced by
> B2B:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Banking_Internet_Communication_Standard,
> else: the above-mentioned ISO20022 (XML-Format).

Agreed better to concentrate on the replacement formats. Banks in Australia are very conservative at
adopting anything that allows direct online access by users. They tell me it is security related. I think they have by
passed all of the European developments driven primarily from Germany so i am stuck with  downloaded OFX files.

Since the above are fairly well defined standards there is probably no more to it than selecting a file correctly
formatted with the right extension in any case. Perhaps just put a note to the effect they are now obsolete and have
been replaced by...

David Cousens