[GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:21:25 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 11:37 -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:

Adrien
> That’s a vast improvement!
>
> Per your question marks:
>

> Distros
> -------
> I wouldn’t include distros unless a survey of the mailing list archives shows there are quirks for them. (and perhaps
> revisit the currently listed quirks, if they are for very old versions rather than current processes, then they can be
> removed)
I was going to see what was left once most of what is currently in Ubuntu16.04 had been moved to generic. I would like
to get away with a simple "substitute your favourite package manager" but there is the additional problem of different
package naming in the dependencies. Geert also mentioned some package managers have a slightly different syntax and
different ways of package cache searching.

> I see you left out Gentoo & Slackware which are on that page. (the Slackware link ’this page’ is really bad anchor
> text similar to ‘click here’ BTW)
Just finger trouble late at night.

> From the installation page (which includes some RHEL based distro links) I see there are breakout pages for FreeBSD
> and Solaris. (now OpenIndiana) Are these still relevant? Should the ‘FreeBSD’ page be re-labeled ‘BSD’? The Solaris
> page looks like it is circa 2007.
Unless there are really significant differences from distribution to distribution and I doubt there are really apart
from those above. I think a list of distributions really belongs in the features type marketing. In the Installation
page it is a bit more relevant as it lists the distros which have Gnucash available from their package management cache.
This section is probably more relevant to those that don't and those of us who like to be at the bleeding edge.

> On that note, perhaps backing up a step to ‘Installation’ might be a good idea to make sure everything is tidy.
Good idea ,I'll check out consistency. The Building page is a breakout from the Installation page.

> Package Formats
> I thought calameres was an installer used to install distros, not a packaging format, though I could be
> misunderstanding it’s scope. (QT based DE’s seem to like it)

It possibly is. I did a search around for different package managers and dsitribution independent installers. I had the
impression it was supposed to be a distribution independent installer as that was what I was searching for (flatpak,
snap etc)at the time ( ionly read the first paragraph on the page). They probably belong in the Installation page rather
than here anyway, but maybe some notes for people preparing such packages to include all compile options and anything
which can go in the package setup to make it work without having to manually bypass the sandboxing of the OS might help.

David Cousens