[GNC-dev] Wiki Build-Tools

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 22 00:00:40 EDT 2018

Hi
I made so comments in the Talk page on Build Tools repeated here for perhaps
broader comment:

I dont think the description here really represents the situation. Both
Autotools and Cmake are build configuration utilities not tool chains as
such.

Would it not be better to describe the toolchains as:
Autotools->make; #must be used for the documentation builds- used for
program builds <v 2.6;
Cmake->make; # now used for program and API documentation (V3.2 forward);
Cmake->ninja; # alternative program build (API documentation??) (V3.2
forward);

or even better if we consider the installation as a separate step from the
build itself

Autotools->make->make; #must be used for the documentation builds- used for
program builds <v 2.6;
Cmake->make->make; # now used for program and API documentation (V3.2
forward);
Cmake->ninja->Make; # alternative program build (API documentation??) (V3.2
forward);

The other parts of the tool chain here is the compiler system called by the
above to compile and libtool to construct the libraries and possibly the
linker. Should they not be also mentioned?

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens
--