[GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:19:44 EDT 2018

Geert,
>I would only do so if all the distro releases we still care
> to support in the debian-sphere ship this tool. If not, I would be tempted to
> stick with apt-get for now and revise this in the future. For example does
> Ubuntu 14.04 already ship the apt tool ? Does Ubuntu 16.04 ?

>From 16.04 forward Ubuntu ships with apt rather than apt-get as the preferred mpackage manager and Linux Mint from 18.
aptitude is preferred for debian but it is only a user friendly front end to apt and apt-get is still in the kit on
Debian as well. All have the GUI based front end in Synaptic as well. Ubuntu and Linux Mint also ship with aptitude
included as well. The install and remove commands are the same as apt & apt-get but some other options are different.
apt-get is also really only a setup tool to handle dependencies for dpkg which does the real work. As far as I know apt
and aptitude are similarly front ends for dpkg. I don't think we need to go that deeply though. Many distributions also
have a Software manager GUI which can also handle most tools and libraries and that is possible preferrable for new
users with the shell commands as a fall back

Perhaps a table of the package managers vs Distributions?

Could also do the same for the dependencies and table the package names where known with blanks to be filled in by
users.

Cheers

David