[GNC-dev] Wiki Building Instructions Reorganization

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 25 20:31:00 EDT 2018

No Colin,

Theplan is to make the Ubuntu specific instructions into a generic Linux set  and then deal with the distribution
diferences  or give users the information they need to translate them to another distribution .  In most cases it is
just substituting the appropriate package managers name (for a few there are also some syntax differences).  I have
provided a table of the package managers I know about and the basics of their install delete and repository search
command that can be added to for distributions not listed. The other major difference is the actual packaging and naming
of the dependencies. Other than that, the build instructions are pretty generic on Linux.  I had updated the Ubuntu
16.04 page at the shift to V3.0 becasue I ran across a few problems building it with the shift to gtk3.  I am planning
on either constructing a table or listing the differences in distribution specific sections. It will depend on whether
there are only a few differences in package names and construction or a lot. I suspect the majoer differences will be
between the RHEL , BSD and Debian based systems.

The main problem is assembling the information about the various distributions. I have run some other distributions in
VMs. The advantage of that is you get a clean system with just the libraries installed with the distribution and not
other software. My machine is fairly slow running VMs

 I have a slightly  longer term plan, if I can find out how to make conditional parsing functions work in the wiki of
selecting your distribution from a list  and the instructions would magically change to be relevant for that
distribution (using what are known as magic words.).  I found a hint of how to do it in the media wiki documentation.
I'll download media wiki onto my system and experiment with it when I get a bit of time.

David Cousens