[GNC-dev] [GNC] Recording dividend payoffs

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:07:13 EDT 2019

John,

the issue is not about reports or accounts, but the term "retained
earnings". While for the "normal" private user (and our original
programmers) it may be seen as synonym for "net income", for business
users it is more specific: The amount of the net income, which is for
several reasons (juristic, ...) transferred to the next period.

Example: There is a pending discussion with a client about the quality
of our sold product. He claims his money back.

IMHO we should rename, what currently is called "retained earnings" in
GnuCash to "net income". I have no specific opinion about the  account
names in our english and norsk templates .

My estimation is based on
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/retained%20earnings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retained_earnings: The retained earnings
of a corporation is the accumulated net income of the corporation that
is retained by the corporation at a particular point of time, such as at
the end of the reporting period. ...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/de/worterbuch/englisch/retained-earnings:
the part of a company’s profit in a particular period that it decides to
keep, rather than paying it to shareholders as a dividend

Regards
Frank