[GNC-dev] [GNC] Recording dividend payoffs

Justin Mathew mjustin at protonmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:37:50 EDT 2019

Maf,

> you should keep replies on-list, others can contribute and maybe in the future
> the thread can save a question being asked in the first place.... "reply All"
> in your email client is a good way.

Opps, I had read about it, but missed it in the heat of replying.
Will keep that mind henceforth.

> Closing the books was important in paper days, not so much with digital
> accounts where the software can do everything quickly & repeatably., IMHO
> closing books isn't really needed any more, as long as you keep secure backups
> & reports etc for traceablity over the years.

Yes, I read this suggestion in gnu tutorial and concepts manual few hours ago infact. I am new to accounting to be honest. Just learning it with a fictitious company and transactions.

> I have a part of the expenses tree that is something like "non-taxable". so
> expenses:non-taxable:dividends or :corporationTax etc. Easy to exclude the
> whole branch from reports rather than ad-hoc accounts.

And I didn't know that feature existed.

> whereas your earlier reference says that dividends are paid from a temproary
> equity account that reduces retained earnings. (sounds like an "expense"
> (english sense, not formal GAAP definition) to me, in that both sorts of
> payment reduce retained earnings - just that dividends are after the profit &
> tax calcs are done)

That's a good way to think. And I guess, this is the only workaround at the moment. It does 'sounds' like expense but I am not too sure to say that it 'is' expense.

I don't know if I can call this a bug; but this isn't the technically correct behavior. GnuCash is intended to be used in accounting spheres regulated by different govts and laws. And because of this, GnuCash should treat dividend payoffs in the standardized and technically correct way ie, a dividend declaration account that is a part of 'equity' which reduces the 'retained earnings' in reports.

-
Regards,
Justin Mathew
mjustin at protonmail.com