[GNC-dev] How to contribute to GnuCash?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Apr 25 11:41:00 EDT 2019

> On Apr 24, 2019, at 10:13 PM, John <john at vicinno.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am the founder of a mobile app startup and a big fan of GnuCash.  My team
> has some free time now. I wonder if we can contribute to develop an iOS
> companion app like current Android one. Can you let me know if you think
> that's a good idea? and if yes, how to start?
>
> Thanks,
> John

It's a good idea if you're going to commit to maintaining and supporting it for a reasonable value of forever.  The GnuCash team hasn't the time nor expertise to accept such an app as a contribution.

To get started I'd think it best to contact Ngewi via the GnuCash-for-Android support channels and discuss whether his design is portable to iOS and what lessons he's learned and improvements he might make.

Once you're ready to start work I expect you'll want to recruit users for usability testing of your UI mockups and later for beta-testing. I'm sure some of our users will be interested in helping, though if you're contemplating a commercial product you'll need to figure out the right way to engage with a FLOSS community.

Regards,
John Ralls