[GNC-dev] Bug796872 Multiple selection feature in import matcher

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 26 10:35:34 EDT 2019

> On Apr 25, 2019, at 11:24 PM, David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
> And the wrong bug report again again. I think the original was possibly
> closed before moving from the original bugzilla.org version. My only excuse
> is I was getting over a trip to Singapore and an overnight flight back
> yesterday.
>
> For some reason the changes in the commits
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/01339a782c91a8d931cc9d7462ddce19afc60635
> and
> https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/cae8ecde8f9ddd615ff47c783ce8136395bd71a9
> don't seem to have made it into v 3.3 on or if they did they didn't have the
> correct files. Due to my inexperience with git and github at the time you
> had to fix up a pull request from my github repository so that may have
> caused the problem.
>
> To get the multiple selection to work for myself,  I have been patching 3.2,
> 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 after downloading the sources before building. The version
> of import-main-matcher.c and dialog-import.glade which were in 3.2, 3.3,3.4
> and 3.5 didn't contain the changes (file size of import-main-matcher.c in
> the gnucash-3.<x>.tar.bz2 in each case was 37.2kB for 3.5, 37.2kB for 3.4,
> 35.2kB for 3.3, 35.2kB for 3.2 for example, and my modified version of that
> file wass 43.8kB. I had the original source archives I downloaded for each
> version and have just freshly unpacked them to check that the code changes
> are not in the files.) I rebuilt 3.5 today with the modified files after
> adding in another patch to replace gtk_menu_popup with
> gtk_menu_popup_at_pointer to eliminate a warning coming up about deprecation
> of gtk_menu_popup and it is all working OK.
>
> I am inclined to clear out my github repository and my local repository copy
> on my computer and refork from GnuCash/gnucash to remove any consequences of
> my previous inexperience using git and github. I have and will retain
> separate copies of the altered files of course. If I then create a new
> feature branch off the maint branch and copy the altered files into that,
> push it to my repository and then create a new pull request, you should then
> get the right files which should fix things for the next release. If anyone
> wants to  incorporate it before then I can send them copies of the patched
> files.

David,

A clean start seems like a good idea. There's no need to re-fork. Just do git fetch from the GnuCash repo, reset your local branches to those, and force-push to your personal GitHub repo.
Suppose that you've called the GnuCash remote "origin" and your personal one "github":

  git fetch origin
  git checkout master
  git reset --hard origin/master
  git push -f github master
  git checkout maint
  git reset --hard origin/maint
  git push -f github maint

That will discard everything you've done, so you might want to first
  git checkout -b my_master master
  git checkout -b my_maint maint
before resetting master and maint. Then you can look at the diffs between e.g. my_maint and maint to see what if anything hasn't been committed upstream.

Regards
John Ralls