[GNC-dev] Appstream - mention of translations

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Aug 24 05:52:02 EDT 2019

Hi,

I have been working on improving the gnucash flatpak on flathub [1] recently.
As flathub's app delivery model heavily depends on appstream files, my
attention inevitably got drawn to the gnucash appstream file.

It's in a reasonably good shape and I have amended it here and there to fit
better in the current appstream requirements.

One bit I haven't added yet is a "translations" tag. This tag is meant to
indicate in which languages an app is translated. As a developer I'm having a
bit of trouble quantifying this correctly.
Depending on the language the translation status varies from 2% (Azerbaijani)
to almost complete translations (Portguese, Croatian, Spanish, Ukrainian,
German,...).

So we have some Azerbaijani translations but I doubt it a user would consider
gnucash translated in Azerbaijani if it only covers 1% of the messages.
So from what point we can claim the application is translated in a certain
language? More than 50%, 75%, 90% ?

Just to give some indications:
We currently have translations in 56 languages.
If we require 80% of the messages to be translated to claim the application is
translated in that language, gnucash would be considered translated in 29
languages. That in itself is actually quite impressive !
If we lower the barrier to 50%, we can claim the app to be translated 47
languages.

I'll note the translation project colors everything more than 50% translated
in different shades of green (with near 50% being a very yellowish green).
Under 50% the color slowly changes from yellow over orange to red. So they
seem to suggest 50%+ is good.

Geert

[1] https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash