[GNC-dev] Building on Windows

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Aug 27 10:41:25 EDT 2019

Op dinsdag 27 augustus 2019 14:37:21 CEST schreef Dale Phurrough:
> I noticed earlier the use of "VS" and was watching it for context. Now I
> see more clearly what was intended.
> You want to actually use the Visual Studio UI and the Visual Studio
> compiler. And consider VS Code a lesser option "at a stretch".
>
> I've tons of experience with Visual Studio. It is good for legacy Visual
> Studio projects, large in-house teams, and rigid development cycles. None
> of those three align well with GnuCash.
> Contrast that to VS Code. Personally, I use it for everything now. And I
> use it across platforms, across projects, and always with open-source
> projects.
>
> This "windows developer" that you are seeking...are you sure they want
> Visual Studio? Or is VS Code a better fit? I ask because the approach one
> takes will be different between the two; and likely not worth the effort to
> support both.
> Each of the two will have their own possibilities of: editor, packager, and
> compiler/linker. Luckily, there is some overlap.
> Here is recently statistics and reports on dev tool use VS Code and Visual
> Studio. VS Code is ahead and the younger devs (via hires) prefer it.
> https://visualstudiomagazine.com/blogs/data-driver/2018/12/2018-vs-code.aspx

Well, this shows I'm not a Windows developer myself. The way I was told Visual
Studio was the full product and VS Code a lightweight open sourced edition.
That may be totally off. So based on your feedback VS Code support is what we
should focus on. From what I understand that's a cross-platform IDE so we
could even experiment with it on linux. Though the same applies in the other
direction of course: linux users have *their* preferred tools and habits :)

Regards,

Geert