[GNC-dev] Normalizing live data, a suggestion for discussion

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Feb 4 05:50:18 EST 2019

Op zaterdag 2 februari 2019 22:36:18 CET schreef Wm via gnucash-devel:
> On 02/02/2019 15:24, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > As for Colin's question: on Windows and MacOS sqlite is supported out of
> > the box. On linux it may require the additional installation of a libdbi
> > driver. Most distros I know have packages for this driver but they may
> > not be installed by default.
>
> It would be an odd distro that excluded SQLite, it is a requisite for a
> lot of other stuff like browsers.  Thinking aloud: maybe a server only
> install might not have it or someone stupid enough to put their data on
> Amazon might not have it available.  The question then becomes, why was
> the person so stupid?

Well I do understand sqlite is available by default, but gnucash requires
libdbi with the sqlite backend (which in turn indeed uses sqlite). I haven't
checked whether all supported distros also have that combination installed by
default. I don't know if webbrowsers also use libdbi. I know firefox does not.

And I haven't and won't spend time to check this for all those distros.

However I do agree this should only be a small hurdle. And I understand your
script is an optional aid for those people that would want a better privacy
guarantee before sending their data in for analysis.

Geert