[GNC-dev] tb, gnc or me? my trial balance is wrong and I think it is gnc not me

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 05:13:10 EST 2019

On 09/02/2019 13:03, D via gnucash-devel wrote:
> That sounds to me like it's using a different exchange rate from one day to another, and I'd agree with your assessment in that case. I would have thought that the exchange rate in the transaction would be used.

You are correct.  I have an amount of something (shares, foreign
currency, whatever) worth (nominally) what I paid for it.

> Mind you, I can't wrap my head around the subtleties that seem to apply on this report.

There should not be any subtleties in a TB, it is an internal document
not a public facing one, the tax people don't ask for your trial balance
in any place I know unless they think you are  bad person in the first
place.

If I don't buy or sell some of whatever it is, I just have what I have
for TB purposes.

If I want to place a value on whatever I put a price in the price
database on a date and use a Balance Sheet report.

The TB is about *actual* tx not values at some putative point in time later.

--
Wm