[GNC-dev] book currency is what ... question mark

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 07:36:38 EST 2019

On 21/02/2019 21:47, Christian Kluge wrote:
> I’ve just seen that my final words I have to say to Wm haven’t reached
> the general public.

Wrong, it is normally me that gets blocked not other people.  I survive
because I have residual project value.

> I’ve considered giving up on trying to make him understand how things
> are really handled.

I am good at understanding, I say, again, you should try the user list.
The dev list is different.

> Am 21.02.2019 um 15:51 schrieb Wm via gnucash-devel:
>> On 20/02/2019 20:05, Christian Kluge wrote:
>>>
>>> Let me expand my example:
>>>
>>> Let’s say I’m doing someone else’s accounts and going through the
>>> liabilities first and see an invoice for 20 PLN.
>>
>> It just looks like an expense to me.  My question is why is such a small
>> amount a liability?
>
> Because it is automatically until paid.
>
> You clearly didn’t understand my example.

You made it obscure.  Probably on purpose, this whole exercise can't
involve the ECB.

> Maybe it was agreed upon that every invoice will be recorded as
> liability regardless of its value or time of payment.

I'm not sure I understand that.

most invoices are liabilities until paid

if you have an unusual arrangement then of course an invoice is still a
liability until paid, that isn't a new accounting thing.

if you are suggesting someone has given you unlimited credit my
suggestion is that is unusual and you should stop doing any business
with them immediately.

"regardless of its value or time of payment"

NOTE: the words above are very dangerous. it sounds like an open
agreement to a short life to me unless you are in a country that has a
well regulated financial system and are using it.

I think you need to use the user list.  the wild parts (regardless of
value or time of payment) are unusual

>>> Then I don’t go through the bank statements first and try to find this
>>> transaction for the real value transferred but use the (monthly average)
>>> ECB quote.
>>
>> Why?  If it is a single tx for such a small amount it is just an
>> occasional expense.  The ECB rate is immaterial
>
>> You do *not* need the ECB rate for anything approximate to the price of
>> a cheap restaurant meal.
>>
>> Seriously, Christian, is this really about you not understanding someone
>> may have gone from Germany to Poland, bought some food and recorded the
>> actual cost?  Now you want the ECB rate?
>>

> If it’s personal accounting I also don’t care. Even if it’s business
> related and just a one time thing.

OK, I'm going  to guess you are young and don't care about the rest of
your life after this possible tx.

> But not if it becomes the norm.
>
> I never said that I talked just about one transaction that never happens
> again.

Yeah, some people repeat their gangster errors

I don't dislike you, Christian, I just think you're in the wrong place

--
Wm