[GNC-dev] Normalizing live data, a suggestion for discussion

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 10:16:09 EST 2019

On 02/02/2019 23:05, David Cousens wrote:

> I don't since I retired a few years ago, but I did for 8 years prior to
> retiring (and I used MYOB for the 10 years prior to that before escaping). I
> am certainly not alone. You could have a proviso that the script won't work
> for files using the business functions but that then detracts considerably
> from its usefulness as a general diagnostic tool.

I'm respecting you more as we progress, DavidC.

The broad point is that a normalization is without opinion or value.

No person would know if you had run your business successfully or not.

The fear is "the government will know I earned 20AUD on a contract and I
didn't report".

struth is your government has much larger issues to deal with, ask them
to to pay attention to that.  That is, if you can manage one government
for more than 3 fucking months at a time!

---

Point: MYOB is respected in Oz, Liz says so, it must be true.  Rest of
the world doesn't give a flying fuck about whether it is a good double
accounting prog or not.

---

> Sqlite itself and its availability on Linux is not really an issue. Most
> distros have it in their software repositories. What may be more of an issue
> is that a lot of people who don't use the database backends because they
> don't want the additional hassles of learning to use and maintain databases
> may be reluctant to install it.

True, I think this is also a red herring, most people are using Windows
and SQLite comes with gnc for free.

Shouldnt you be asking why more people aren't using what they already have?

> I'm retired.

Disagree, your mind is still active :)

> Taking an extra half day to learn something
> new doesn't worry me as long as it happens before my time is up. But if I am
> running a busy lfe and/or a business as I used to, I would be more
> reluctant. Again not a show stopper, only a limitation on general
> applicability.
>
> David Cousens

Have a hug.
--