[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 23 17:36:19 EST 2019

On 10/02/2019 12:28, Geert Janssens wrote:

> FTR this code is not written by me. I'm merely reading how it currently works.

good, because I am still angry at the plain stupidity regarding this
implementation

> That aside, it will continue to work as long as the user uses a different name
> when copying the file or using File, Save As

Doh!  User has to behave badly to enforce good behavior by programme.

The user *still* won't know where their fucking saved reports are unless
they search for them!  Possibly on someone else's computer in a network.
  Or maybe not available at all because they were using a shared laptop
at a conference and now they're at home.

HOW FUCKING STUPID IS THIS APPROACH?

I honestly can't believe the brains we have available thought this was a
good idea.

Seriously, I DO NOT KNOW were reports are saved any more.

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT MYSTERY REPORTS WERE A GOOD IDEA

OWN UP!

WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?

I AM SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS I WANT A NAME

> As there haven't been any complaints so far it looks that's what most people
> are doing anyway.

liar, I protested in the user list (I do not call Geert a liar for
nothing and expect him to be very angry with me in return for using that
word about him but honesty must prevail)

It is possible Geert didn't see the conversation where I complained
about this in the user list but I think it unlikely.

>> I think it would be useful if 2) above was changed so that a new book:id is
>> generated. Shall I raise a bug?
>>
> I don't know. As I said, if the file name is unique there's no need to rely on
> the GUID. It looks like it's fairly uncommon to want to use the same file name
> for books that are not related.

Happens all the time when I'm debugging stuff.

> On the other hand I may also want to simply
> copy my existing book to a new location and happen to use File, Save As to do
> so. I don't think gnucash can make an assumption that either is right or
> wrong.

You lose your reports and meta data when you do that.  Is it your
intention to lose them?  At the moment you don't have the option.

> In itself I think it's too ambiguous/insignificant to create a bug report for
> it.

I disagree, it makes consistent backups on networked systems near
impossible.

> But on the other hand I also think this is something that we could analyze
> when we start revising our options/preferences system. On big aspect of this
> is evaluating for each setting whether it should be book specific (like book
> currency), computer specific (like saved window sizes) or user specific (like
> I have no example right now...). The metadata file is really meant to store
> computer specific data (though it currently does store more than that...).

SO IF YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT THIS BEFORE WHY DID YOU MAKE SUCH A BAD
DECISION??

As far as I know you didn't even ask people about this!

What is a book option, what is metadata and so on *has* been discussed
before and I am going to say *you* Geert are a liar if you think it was
all new.

I hate dishonest people.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

--
Wm