[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Feb 24 11:51:09 EST 2019

Op zondag 24 februari 2019 12:54:35 CET schreef Wm via gnucash-devel:
> On 24/02/2019 02:25, David Cousens wrote:
> > Wm,
>
> David, I appreciate your efforts as peacemaker, don't give up on all of
> us yet, most of us are trying to be good, promise :)
>
> > If you draw a diagram from the information in the wiki page
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations
> > where the  meta data and report data is stored becomes fairly obvious and
> > is fairly simple.
>
> I disagree, the user doesn't always know where their stuff is and
> therefore can't make a sensible backup.  We (gnc) have a theory about
> where stuff should be but in practice it could be just about anywhere.
>
> My argument is that we should put important stuff near or approximate to
> the data it relates to rather than further away from it.
>
> > There was considerable discussion in the forums at the time the changes
> > were being made from 2.6 to 3.0.
>
> Not all views were heard.  Taking a poll and not listening to the views
> that disagree with you is ordinary.
>
> This has ended up with me saying Geert (a person I respect enormously)
> may be a liar :(

Sigh...

Let it be clear the current thread is mixing up several discussions.

1. I agree (and always have) that certain data (like saved reports) is stored
in the wrong place, namely in the metadata directory instead of in the gnucash
data file. This has been historically so and hasn't changed between gnucash
2.6 and 3. The same data is still stored in locations reserved for application
internal housekeeping (metadata).

2. In the preparations to line up to gnucash 3 I decided to do some lower
level housekeeping, namely to move everything that was *already stored* in the
historical metadata/config directory ($HOME/.gnucash on linux) into present
day recommended locations per platform ($HOME/.config/gnucash and
$HOME/.local/share/gnucash on linux). On MacOS this was already the case so
nothing changed there. On windows the move was from $HOME/.gnucash to
%APPDATA%\GnuCash, the default location on Windows *and* a request by several
users that didn't like the .gnucash in their $HOME. It was never my aim at
that point to do the bigger cleanup of sorting out which stuff that was in
separate metadata files should really be moved into the gnucash data file.
That's a completely different work that should still happen somewhere further
down in the current big refactoring.

In further discussions, let's try to be clear please about what aspect is
being discussed.

Regards,

Geert