[GNC-dev] Launchpad

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Tue Jan 1 18:25:59 EST 2019

Hey,

Replying out of sequence as I deleted the original messages (oops).

On Tue, 2019-01-01 at 12:17 -0800, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
> On 1/1/19 12:57 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op maandag 31 december 2018 18:41:35 CET schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> > > Dev Team,
> > >
> > > So far, three folks have either used or inquired about using the
> > > debian
> > > package for 3.4.  Marketing theory (no, I'm a software engineer
> > > by
> > > avocation) says that there are several more that would take
> > > advantage if
> > > it were more "supported".

Perhaps worth getting in touch with Dmitry Smirnov, the Debian
Developer who looks after gnucash in Debian?

Looking at:
  https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/gnucash
Ubuntu is just taking the package from Debian.

It does seem reasonable to have a PPA to make newer versions of Gnucash
available in Ubuntu, and uploading it to the relevant -backports repos
for Debian.

> > > Here are my thoughts:
> > >
> > >  1. Both Ubuntu (Launchpad) and Debian request certain files in a
> > >     ~/debian folder.  Most of these appear to be copies of files
> > > the
> > >     application already has.  Perhaps a softlink could be put in
> > > the
> > >     debian folder that points to the original so that changes in
> > > the
> > >     original automatically show up in the folder.  Does this work
> > > via git?

I've checked the source from Debian and I'm not seeing any files in the
debian directory which have been copied from the main source tree. Are
there any examples you can provide?

> > >  2. I'm willing to coordinate the effort to build that folder (I
> > > presume
> > >     on the Master branch) but will need volunteers from more
> > > technical
> > >     folks from time-to-time to handle some of the techy stuff.  I
> > > know
> > >     the devs are busy squashing bugs so this would have to take a
> > > back
> > >     seat to that.

This directory already exists:
  https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnucash/tree/master/debian
why re-invent it?

I've been happily using Gnucash from Debian for ... many years.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand