[GNC-dev] Reports -- Cleanup

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Jan 7 23:42:51 EST 2019

Stephen, while I agree in principle that the reports need cleanup, as a user, I don’t want to see functionality removed, just moved. Consider the following:

For example on your #1,

Why do I need to see the credit split for every transaction when running the report for an expense account? Maybe I want to know where the money came from, but more likely, I want to know who I paid it to and when and how much. Maybe I’d like some 'how much' totals for the 'who to' and when ‘questions'. To have to see the other side of every transaction even for a few dozen is unnecessary clutter, imagine a report with hundreds of transactions. One purpose of a report is to condense/consolidate information. This would turn the Transaction Report into just a fancy Register Report. I might as well look at the expense register itself then run a report.

On the #2,

So I shouldn’t be able to see what else might have happened in that transaction, but I always have to see both the credit and debit sides of it? How is that consistent? or possible? If I can’t see the other splits, I can’t see the balancing part of the transaction like you want in #1, or, maybe I see a debit to an expense and the credit to checking, but maybe there were other offsetting debits for other expense accounts in that transaction. Now I’m looking at an expense debit that is less than the credit line and things don’t balance at the least, and worst, now I have clutter that gives me no useful information and can’t see the info I might want to see. (such as, is there a pattern that two expenses go together?)

I do agree however that the Transaction report is really more of a ‘master report’ of sorts. The multi-column is another. There might be others.

Those should probably be either in their own sub-menu, or the only ones in the main Reports menu. Then the various useful reports one routinely needs that are based off of those masters can be in the topic specific sub-menus.

I don’t see the myriad of options as ‘gold plating’ I see them as making the report more useful. (though obtuse as well)

Perhaps if some more routine and useful reports were created from this and added to the relevant sub-menus, less people would need the ‘master report’ though it can still be there for those who know how to wield its power.

Just my 2¢.

Regards,
Adrien