[GNC-dev] Reports -- Cleanup

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 9 16:50:23 EST 2019

Steve,

I would like to add to Adrien's concerns. The reports are for more than an
accountant or a bookkeeper. Many people using GnuCash are managing personal
finances, investments, not for profits, small businesses etc and while they
may need the basic standard accounting reports (balance sheet, income
statement, transaction, cash flow etc.), they also need to have reports
which give them information which is more related to managing those
activities and sometimes they also need to dig deeper into the information.

We need to remember that the options that are there have grown out of user
requests for reports outside the basic reports and/or the need for more or
different information.

An additional concern is perhaps that many users have produced customized
reports based on the standardized reports. I don't know to what extent these
are standalone, but if changes in the underlying report affect the derived
reports then we will hear screams and gnashing of teeth from the user base.

GnuCash is also widely used in many jurisdictions and reporting requirements
and standards and practice can vary in more than just language and date
formats. Fortunately there is a strong international push for financial
reporting standards (IFRS) led by the IASB. The FASB in the US is moving the
GAAP towards agreement/compliance with the IFRS, and is a major participant
in the IASB, but has not yet adopted the IFRS as the basis of its internal
standards. Many European countries and others adopt the IFRS standards with
local variation on top to meet legislative requirements in corporate law,
consumer legislation etc as well as local practices.
https://www.ifrs.org/use-around-the-world/use-of-ifrs-standards-by-jurisdiction/#analysis
has a comlete breakdown of the current position.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens
--