[GNC-dev] gnucash maint: Multiple changes pushed

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 10 15:44:13 EST 2019

Op donderdag 10 januari 2019 21:11:26 CET schreef John Ralls:
> > On Jan 10, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> > wrote:>

> >> Um, I don’t think it’s right to consider main() part of “the GUI code”.
> >> It’s the mandatory starting function for any program.
> >
> > Except when we want to interface with libgnucash from binding languages
> > such as python or guile directly. At least in this context there's no
> > main() that can explicitly set our libgnucash environmental requirements
> > (like environment variables from the environment file or locale etc) that
> > I know of.
> >
> > GUI was indeed a vague term to explain this.
> >
> > You could argue the init function itself could be exported so the bindings
> > can call that as well, making the calling script the equivalent of the
> > main() function. That would be a valid option.
> >
> >> There’s at present no
> >> “libgnucash initialization” at runtime unless you mean
> >> libgncmod_engine_init. We can make one, of course, or extend
> >> libgncmod_engine_init, but that’s still going to be called from main()
> >> (as
> >> libgncmod_engine_init is now, via gnc_module_init) and should happen
> >> before
> >> a future thread-enabled GnuCash starts spawning threads.
> >
> > My message had many implicit assumptions. I'm aware there's no formal
> > libgnucash initialization yet. This was thinking out loud about the
> > future, a future libgnucash where we no longer depend on gnc-module
> > (which is one of our long-term plans).
> >
> > At that point we'll need some form of libgnucash initalization and yes,
> > libgncmod_engine_init would be a first potential candidate.
> >
> > A more radical idea (not fully analyzed by any means) could be to build up
> > libgnucash as a class hierarchy in which the constructor of the top-level
> > class does all the more general initialization (like configuring the
> > environment and locale).
> > In that case initialization would happen automatically at first
> > instantiation of that class. That could happen in a main() function for a
> > C++ program (like future GnuCash proper) or from a binding script.
>
> I don't think that writers of other programs would be happy to have
> libgnucash doing its own localization determination separate from their
> program, and especially not changing the environment behind their backs.
> The portable way for localization is for the calling program to do whatever
> it wants to set the locale in the environment and for dependencies to read
> the environment if they need to. That's not to say that we couldn't move
> our localization code to core-utils and expose it in the libgnucash API,
> but it shouldn't happen automatically in case the application wants to do
> something different.

I don't think what I am trying to convey would do anything you worry about.
Let's refine my thoughts a bit more then.

I would like libgnucash to "just work" by default and not force calling code
to do initialization unless they want to deviate from that default. That means
reading necessary bits from the environment, which we only want to do once. So
it makes sense to do so at the very first use of anything libgnucash in my
opinion.
I see similar things in for example libgtk. It behaves sensible by default but
it can be tweaked by means of a settings.ini file or some environment
variables.

GnuCash as is currently stands already depends on environment in several ways:
locale is one, paths to dbi drivers is another, as are load paths for guile.
Most of these will also be required to make libgnucash function properly when
we are ready to split it off. So I think it would be useful if libgnucash
could manage a default configuration for these things with an exposed
interface to allow callers to override these (be it via a configuration file,
environment variables, direct function calls,... to be detailed).

So the idea is that a properly installed libgnucash in a well defined
environment is able to initialize itself. If overrides are needed, calling
programs should be able to provide those. That should make setting
configuration of libgnucash optional in the best case and easy in the worst.

Note my idea of implicitly initializing on first use probably implies any
overrides should be set in some way *before* that first use. So either in a
config file, via the environment or via optional parameters to the
constructor. The latter is probably not very feasible.

Geert