[GNC-dev] Alphavantage strategies

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 04:58:11 EST 2019

On 21/01/2019 20:10, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Wm via gnucash-devel <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> [snip]
>> Do you really miss the point on purposes?  If gnc collects the last
>> price it doesn't have that is a good thing.
>
> All GnuCash knows is the time of the last price it received/stored.

Yup, it also can't know the significance of one price vs another for the
user.  If you're suggesting a price priority option I'm not against that
but I don't think it solves the problem you don't perceive.  It would be
a lot of work UI wise and I'm pretty sure as soon as it appeared someone
would strongly object.

> It
> has to make the request to A-V to know if there is a new price.

There is always a new price in modern markets.  That doesn't mean gnc
should be requesting a price every second or millisecond.  The db design
simply doesn't support that sort of trading.  There is other software
for that.

> So that
> means, by definition, GnuCash will automatically request any prices >
> <Delta> old, whether or not there is a "new price", because GnuCash
> can't know if there is a new price until it makes the request.

gnc can be a good citizen and not ask for a price it already has.  I am
suggesting it asks for prices it doesn't have first.  Why is this
suggestion so troubling to you?

> Sure, this is a "Good Thing", but it's definitely not going to limit the
> number of price requests GnuCash makes....   Unless, of course, you're
> assuming people are requesting prices every few minutes?

this has been done repeatedly in the user list, people *are* trying to
use gnc for intra day trading and generally find it doesn't work.

I may be misreading you, Derek
It is possible you are playing devil's advocate
It appears to me you are against gnc (or possibly F::Q) backing off and
being a good citizen or doing a good thing.

--
Wm