[GNC-dev] Alphavantage strategies

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 12:37:30 EST 2019

On 22/01/2019 15:16, John Ralls wrote:

> Wm,
>
> F::Q has had a commit to add 6 seconds between requests in its git repo for almost a year, but the maintainer hasn’t been able to make time to do a new release. This has been discussed several times on the user list.

Naughty F::Q ... don't be silly, the notion exists, it got used but not
implemented.  I don't think we (gnc and other people that use F::Q)
should presume they should protect us from being bad citizens.

And something else, the 6 seconds is growing, 16 seconds, maybe 61
seconds soon, I don't know what the back off should be but I know for
sure gnc is not suitable for trading (by that I mean prices within a day
or maybe within a few days).

> There’s also already a price-priority built into GnuCash.

 > >There are several levels, but the significant ones are
> transaction-creation,

I certainly know about that one and expect most people experience it
ordinarily in buying food, etc

> finance-quote,

I think you have the order wrong

> price-editor.

I think an actual price overrides.

>Sources to the right can replace sources to their left

my reading of what you are saying is that the price-editor should
override the actual, but I'm not convinced that is really what you mean.

>and themselves but not sources to the right, so e.g. once  you’ve created a price in the price editor >that’s the one for the day.

Hmmmn, I'm going to pause and think about that.

I think that is a wrong-thing: I think the actual human level price is
the price for the day for a person or small or modest sized organisation
rather than the price editor price, if you toss in the ordinary stuff
like some people and organisations can't get prices at the moment, what
do you think is the right price for the day?

Is it the market price (big wide world) or the price they could achieve
at the time on the day they attempted to get a price?

I am genuinely unsure about this, JohnR [99] , I think the price I have
for something must be the price for the day *because* the gnc model of
last price falls apart if it is supplanted.

[99] and other sensible commentators, remote as they may be
===

I live in London, I don't vote for Trump, if it matters I think Brexit
is dumb, I have access to market prices.

I'm generally ok with a price a person creates being prime (if I buy an
option on DogFood and Wall at USD200 per kg of federal_employee that is
my price for supporting Trump, right?) [1]

> I don’t want GnuCash to make assumptions about what F::Q does internally,

My break: I agree

I also think it will be very expensive for gnc and similar applications
that utilize F::Q to start from scratch.

> so I think the algorithm you’re proposing would look like:
>
> 1 Make list of commodities to retrieve from Alphavantage

doesn't gnc do that anyway? if that wasn't true we wouldn't be fucking
about choosing which source we wanted a quote from, FFS

> 2 Check for prices for today, splitting the above list into have-price and don’t-have-price

I think this is a good approach but it breaks if many people ask the
same question at or about the same time or repeatedly.

I don't know the answer to gnc and F::Q *not* being asked
===
alphabet share price
===
I don't use gnc or F::Q for that but I expect many people do.

> 3 Request the don’t-have-price list. If it partly fails, wait 60 seconds and return to 2.

Almost, I think the person should get a list, similar to the one
presented at presented that says,
"we couldn't get the price for
FuckwitAndCompany
MayAndIdiots
CorbynAndWeird"

but instead of asking the dumb question about storing the prices it may
have obtained

think about this

at the moment the gnc model gets good prices and throws them away!

How fucking idiotic and Trump like is that?

You have information?

What is the best thing to do?

I know!  Discard it!

Duh

Sensible people store information, prices, etc  why is gnc *discarding*
what it does get?  I simply don't understand this.  Maybe someone else
is whacking F::Q for a perfect complete set of all their data and
someone else is just trying to work out if their small business is
likely to get fucked by Brexit.

Why does gnc not store the prices it did get and then ask "do you want
me to try again, the sources may be fucked, I may not be able to get a
price again for a day or so because the fuckwit Trump is holding things
up" or whatever excuse you have but here is the question

WHY IS GNC *NOT* STORING PRICES IT DOES GET?
WHY IS GNC *DISCARDING* PRICES WHEN WE KNOW THEY ARE BECOMING MORE
EXPENSIVE?

> 4 Wait 60 seconds and request the have-price list.

if someone needs minute by minute prices I think they should pay for
that,  I'm ok with once a day at best.

> The code would go into libgnucash/scm/price-quotes.scm.

at which point it would be obscure to me.  I'd know if it worked or not
afterwards so who are you trying to impress?

===

[1] Trump has moved beyond stupid to plain funny, OK? [2]
[2] This is nothing to do with Rep or Dem any more, this is supporting
the incompetent because you're a cheap white that never had anyone to
vote for before, yay for you [3]
[3] I'm cheap white too, in case it matters [4]
[4] I'm also from africa, as in born their and tired of other whites and
their rights.

--
Wm
I am very frustrated at not being able to help the project more