[GNC-dev] Adding module to make GnuCash more valuable

Rosi Dimova pocu79 at icloud.com
Thu Jul 25 03:31:58 EDT 2019

Hello,

> On 25 Jul 2019, at 0:45, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 24, 2019, at 1:08 PM, Rosi Dimova <pocu79 at icloud.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>>> On 24 Jul 2019, at 17:47, Frank H. Ellenberger <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rosi,

>>> you are our ambassador to all Bulgarian speaking people. :-)
>>> Translators find many issues in the GUI: Missing context, bad plural
>>> forms, bad concatenation for right-to-left writing,  ...
>>
>> I like that - an ambassador. Works for me. :-)
>> You have a point, I never considered these things. But can recall being stuck at 33% of translation for months, because I didn’t understand one single word. If it wasn’t for Mila, who explained me our legislation lacks the concept of orphan account, Bulgarian translation wouldn’t become real for many years. At least, not from me.
>>
>>> I like your idea. But considering our small resources, I believe it
>>> would better fit as a module into ERP software:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ERP_software_packages
>>>

>> Thank you!  :) I’m not good at explanations, but will give it another try and will stop disturbing your discussions. :)
>> You and John are thinking big, but not small or not big enough. And you are underestimating yourselves. Or may be I wasn’t clear enough. Here it is why:
>>
>> Technically, issuing ocean bill of lading is nothing much different that printing out a document on a letterhead. Forwarders and shipping lines use various tools. Small companies use spreadsheets or pdf templates to print it on paper. Big companies use SAP or other solutions. SAP-based solutions use browser+pdf again in the common case. I used to work on AS400 for almost 2 years. Can you imagine that? It’s older than me!
>>
>> So, I’m talking about nothing more than two additional templates - one for originals and another for electronic (express or telex) release. But it is tricky, especially the latter. For originals: the margins of the templates should be adjustable to fit on their own forms. Also additional fields as per local legislation might be required (like SCAC code).
>> The good practice says originals should be printed out from fewer computers. Also two or max. three persons in charge shall sign them. A specimen of any written signature is kept to prove the validity of the B/L. But it is problem of the issuing party, not of the software. Most small companies do not follow this rule strictly.
>>
>> For express release: same rules shall be kept by using electronic means. Basically it should include additionally three programmable fields:
>> - consecutive number of the document itself, not the B/L number
>> - identity of the signing party (digital signature or some kind of security token)
>> - valid time stamp, supported by Electronic data interchange (EDI) for vessel’s sailing date.
>> Date of departure is as important as the identity. Especially for L/C.

> [...]

This thread becomes more interesting than I thought. Four of GNC developers said it is out of scope. And not a single one says it cannot be done. :)

LibreOffice is not in applicable, because it doesn’t keep track on transactions, invoices and money flow (via aqbanking). ERP’s are not suitable, because they serve other purposes. Implementing B/L in ERP will be easy, but it would inherit the flaws of the ERP/CRM/etc.

Here it is why:
- B/L actually acts as a security. Theoretically, it doesn’t serve as a document of ownership (as per popular readings on the Internet). Practically, it is just like that! It’s a very special document of title. It transfers ownership while the commodity of any value is on the move - on board or at any other point of shipment. And GNC supports securities - I can recall it from the translation 9y ago, even if I have no idea how it works

- Afaik, there is no such product on the market. Believe it or not, both commodity and money flow work fine even without it, yet... There is no commercial or free software solution for freight-forwarders since 40+ years. Shipping lines have it, but it is easy for them, because they act as Principal-Agent which is basically server-client relationship.

My recent research showed there are many efforts to implement Etherium. Only one of them shows the understanding of B/L. Others are still kept in secret, so I have no opinion.
But this solution is done incorrectly. Developers assume all involved parties are equal to each other and yet they are not.

If I have to present the basic movements of the goods and not the B/L itself, it is like that:

client(shipper)->peer->server at origin->other servers->server at destination->peer->client(consignee)

HBL movement is:
peer (origin) - peer (destination) once shipper and consignee clear the payment.

Aggregation of these parties with distributed cryptographic software looks sweet and fancy, and cutting edge. Even revolutionary. But it is more like putting predators, pray, armed guards, visitors and food&water in the same cage of the zoo.

Guys, I’m not here to recruit any of you for my idea, but to tell me why GNC is not suitable. If you want to get rid off me, just say: GNC‘s features do not allow to keep track on consecutive documents (as invoices) or don’t support software for digital signature. Or EDI-standard could not be implemented. And I’ll give up or put it on hold and just live my life :)

Kind regards,
Rosi