[GNC-dev] Translators struggle with commit 2020bee

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:42:39 EST 2019

Hi Alex,

while I did some translation I had Problems to understand the meaning of

#: gnucash/gnome-utils/dialog-options.c:858
msgid ""
"You have selected a placeholder account, which is shown so that child "
"accounts are displayed, but is invalid. Please select another account.
(You "
"can expand the tree below the placeholder account by clicking on the
arrow "
"to the left.)"
msgstr ""

I had to dive in the code to get the context. But we can not expect this
from normal translators.

We could
 a) Insert a translator comment with the context,
 b) Insert the subject in the first sentence, or
 c) Simplify it and reuse an already existing string:

#: gnucash/import-export/import-account-matcher.c:201
#: gnucash/import-export/import-account-matcher.c:378
#, c-format
msgid ""
"The account %s is a placeholder account and does not allow transactions. "
"Please choose a different account."

I would prefer c), but what is your opinion?

Regards
Frank