[GNC-dev] GnuCash 3 on Linux

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 7 18:42:34 EST 2019

Wm,

I backup all user data including hidden directories on my hard disk to an
NAS so no matter where it is I have it copied. I do full backups monthly
with daily incrementals and usually retain them for 3 months these days.  I
off load the backups onto USB for offsite storage as well now that they are
big enough. I'm retired so the data flow is very much reduced these days. I
also do selective backups to offsite cloud locations of critical data
including GnuCash. For those I backup all the data in the locations given
for v3+ in the wiki Configuration Locations for GnuCash. I don't bother with
the aplication config in /usr/local/etc/gnucash as I don't edit anything in
it.  My desktop is also synced with my laptop and my wife's laptop- not
really secure as a backup as any saved changes get propagated including
those that might take the system down but it has helped with some simple
problems. My NAS is NFS4 based so my Linux boxes communicate pretty easliy
with it (it is mounted when switched on on all computers and Samba takes
care of the one Windows machine. Took a while to setup but the NAS initiates
backups to itself on a schedule. Also backs up our mobile phones.

When I was operating a business and in a past side job as a systems manager,
I used a Towers of Hanoi (annual/quarterly/monthly/weekly/incremental)
backup plan.

The locations I would backup as a matter of course would be the ones
labelled GNC_DATA_HOME and GNC_CONFIG_HOME ( and all files and
subdirectories in those locations) in the diagrams. I haven't bothered
customising the gtk-3 setup for GnuCash so I wouldn't bother with the GTK
locations.

David

-----
David Cousens