[GNC-dev] [GNC] UK VAT and "Making Tax Digital"

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:15:30 EDT 2019

On Sun, 12 May 2019 at 09:03, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

> the flexibility is good, but why A/R by default?  the other side to those
> txns
> would generally be an income a/c & VAT collected split?
> I don't think loans into the business would have a VAT component.  But who
> knows what the gubberment might change in the future.

Ah correct, AP/AR accounts shouldn't be selected by default; the
Income/Expense accts have all the information already.
I've amended.

> - tax accts - default to nil, select VAT (EC&non-EC) asset/liability
> accts.
> > In addition, sales&purch accts whose description contain *ECGOODS* are
> > counted separately for boxes 8 and 9
> > And tax accts are also handled differently depending whether *ECVAT*
> exists
> > in description.
> > There may be a more elegant way to select them. The CSV output is sound
> > though.
> > Should the sales&purch accts be limited? eg sales can be
> > INCOME/AR/LIABILITY only? ditto purch = EXP/AP/ASSET only?
>
> Limiting selection types might be reasonable, but I see no real necessity
> limit.  If you're setting up for VAT then you should have a clue about the
> different types of accounts and where the relevant txns are in your tree.
> this isn't mom&pop we need to cater for here, but small businesses with a
> turnover of 85k+.  A bit of accounting knowledge, and some good docs (OK,
> hear you - "contributions welcome from the user base".  ;-0 )  should be
> enough?
>
> thanks again for your time & efforts.

NP.
The last issue is whether the accounts selection system above is the best
one. I don't think it's the best but is the one most accessible. "Tax
report options" are another method.