[GNC-dev] archive of GnuCash

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Nov 12 19:39:01 EST 2019

On 11/12/19 4:25 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> make (or ninja) dist
>>>
>>> distcheck will make the tarballs then untar one of them, build, test, and clean. It passes only if all of that works and there isn't anything left over.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>
>> After setting GMOCK_ROOT to /usr/src/googletest/googlemock, and doing
>> make dist, I get:
>>
>> CMake Error at doc/CMakeLists.txt:50 (file):
>>   file failed to open for writing (Permission denied):
>>
>>     /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/doc/tip_of_the_day.list
>>

>> CMake Error at libgnucash/doc/design/CMakeLists.txt:29 (file):
>>   file failed to open for writing (Permission denied):
>>
>>     /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/libgnucash/doc/design/version.texi
>>

>> CMake Error at libgnucash/doc/design/CMakeLists.txt:30 (file):
>>   file failed to open for writing (Permission denied):
>>
>>     /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/gnucash/libgnucash/doc/design/stamp-vti
>>

>> Looks like a lot of files have only the read bit set.  Should I reclone
>> the repository and checkout 3.7 again?
> Please remember to copy the list on all replies.
>
> Since I can't drive your computer I don't know what you've put in /home/steve/Projects/Gnucash/gnucash. Is it a source or a build directory? If it's source, is it from a tarball checkout or a git clone? If it's source and from a git clone, why is make trying to write doc/tip_of_the_day.list into it? Does doc/tip_of_the_day.list already exist? If so, how did it get there, as it's a build product?

It's a git clone.  I've done some debian package builds that were
supposed to go into ./.build -- who knows what might have gone wrong a
time or two (or more).

> On the other hand, if it's a build directory (and it should be) why would you think that recloning the source directory would affect the permissions in the build directory? If make is creating files r-r-r then most likely your umask is messed up. Fix that, delete the directory, and re-run cmake.
> If it's both, don't do that.
I was already coming to the point of creating the orig.tar.gz file and
using that in another location for doing the debian package creation.
So, with red face, ya, I did both.

> Suggestion going forward: Name your directories to indicate what's what. For example on Linux where I need build only GnuCash itself I use ~/gnucash-git for the git working directory and ~/gnucash-build for the build directory. If I need to build a bunch of dependencies I'll group them under whatever key parameters define the build and separate the source, build, and install trees, perhaps ~/gnucash-x86_64-maint/src/gnucash-git, ~/gnucash-x86_64-maint/build/gnucash-git, ~/gnucash-x86_64-maint/inst/.

OK.  We'll start with a clean clone and then attempt to create the
tarball of 3.7.  When that works we'll figure out the next step.  Just
to be sure I'm on the correct page, after the git clone:

cd into the clone

git checkout 3.7

make dist

And that should generate gnucash-3.7.orig.tar.gz (I presume in the
parent directory).

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com