[GNC-dev] Mouse usage in Gnucash

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 11 01:26:48 EDT 2019

Do we by any chance have some sort of standard description of mouse usage in
GNuCash on the various OS.

I am updating documentation. Docbooks has tags for description of mouse
operations.  With configurable mouses for LH or RH operation terms like Left
Click and Right Click start to become ambiguous. DocBooks has tags for
<mousebutton>. In a review of some recent changes Frank suggested using
Button1, Button2 and Button 3 rather than Left, Middle and Right to avoid
the LH/RH mouse conundrum.  I haven't been able to find anything in the
documentation re input devices but I could have missed it

Two of my mice have 6 buttons and two scroll wheels (basic config is a 2
button + central scroll/button) and  another only has 2 buttons and a single
scroll wheel/button. Linux Mint can configure that for LH operation,
emulation of a centre button by pressing both buttons together, scrolling
reversal and double click timeout and I presume most OSs will have something
similar. Then we go to Macs and we have single buttons and magic mice to
contend with.  Then there are tablets and touchpads and gestures.  GTK3
seems to support a wide range
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-input-handling.html and does
interpret the scroll wheel appropriately on my mice but the wheel button
inserts "another" each time it is pressed while editing a transaction in a
register - not too useful.

It is clearly far too onerous to describe all possible mice/input
variations.

My own preference would to perhaps settle on a fairly common 2 button RH
basic mouse and keyboard configuration and describe operations in terms of
that. Perhaps then offer in a wiki section some translations from this
configuration to other configurations like track pads that could be
populated by users. I think Left (Centre) Right  for a RH mouse is likely to
be far less confusing to translate than a "Button1 Button2, Button3  where
it is totally ambiguous whether the mouse is LH RH or upside down.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

David

-----
David Cousens