[GNC-dev] CMake build system for gnucash-docs

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Sep 7 10:04:08 EDT 2019

> On Sep 7, 2019, at 5:44 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> Again I'm not sure of the benefit of adding support for all that at this
> point. I think more interesting areas of study could be whether we can support
> a Macos native document format or whether the Windows help system has a way of
> identifying application documentation system-wide (that is outside of the
> application) and whether we need to add something to tap into that. Those are
> two platforms we do try to integrate with next to our gnome integration.

MacOS Help's native format is HTML just like everyone else's, packed in a peculiar way just like everyone else's. It displays in an obnoxious window that stays on top of everything. Many third-party applications do what GnuCash already does, which is to use the user's default browser to display help. As for Windows I've noticed that very few Windows 10 applications still use the old Windows-3 help viewer. Most, including Microsoft's, either display help in their own window or use the default browser.

Maybe we should follow that trend and get rid of *all* of the system/desktop environment specializations and just open docs in a GtkWebKitView like we do reports... alternatively given the troubles with WebKit maybe we should switch to using the default browser for both reports and docs.

Regards,
John Ralls