[GNC-dev] yelp and khelpcenter

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 18:53:23 EDT 2019

Am 07.09.19 um 18:15 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> Yes. GnuCash is a still geared towards the gnome facilities, so yelp is
> normally installed for help. There's currently no way to integrate our
> documentation in the kde help system.
>
> I will add for completeness both yelp and khelpcenter can also display html
> based documentation. So these platforms are not forcing us to stick with
> docbook as base documentation format. But that's of course a totally different
> discussion.

AFAIK both use XML (docbook and derivates) as primary source format and
render them as HTML, but can also output HTML files.

While "developing docs" one benefit is, they can display your changes by
a simple reload - without waiting minutes before 'make/ninja html' finish.

If we can get our docs in both apps by
* adding a metafile (.omf or .desktop) at the right place and
* probably reordering component and language of the path
it would be worth the effort.

BTW I prefer to stick with docbook as source format as it is well
defined and we have the validation by xmllint. To illustrate it, just
compare gnucash (docbook) with the from the content ways less complex
gnucash-htdocs (HTML in variants 1.0 - xhtml) with some PHP glue, which
is almost unmaintainable. When I the last time tried
https://validator.w3.org/check, I gave up after 2 days of fixing.

–Frank