[GNC-dev] Building debian files within Docker

Dale Phurrough dale at hidale.com
Mon Sep 9 09:12:23 EDT 2019

Hi, thanks for checking in. I've never tested using the dev-docker
containers to build .deb within them. Long-term I would like it to build
containerized apps like snap, flatpak, etc. and maybe deb's come along for
free.

I vaguely remember reading "each package manager/person maintains their own
blahblah to create their distro's packages" If that's true and this package
metadata it isn't centrally kept by the core GnuCash team...then I suspect
it's technically possible to build deb packages within the containers
(since they are full OSs), but that the GnuCash team doesn't yet have it
automated because they don't coordinate/have the packager(s) metadata for
each distro.

True, no stable release of a Docker package to run on Disco yet. As an
alternative, you could run the testing release of Docker. Or...run the snap
for Docker. Running the snap removes your OS version conflict + gives you
the stable Docker 18.06 which is a very well tested and rich version of
Docker.  https://snapcraft.io/docker  By that webpage, disco is the 2nd
most popular OS on which it runs.

--Dale