[GNC-dev] [GNC] Announcement: GnuCash 3.7 Released

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Wed Sep 11 17:55:15 EDT 2019

Tommy,

I am replying via the GnC Dev list as others may have thoughts or
appreciate having the information.  This is a great community of like
minded individuals and working together produces more than individually.

Other comments throughout the following.

On 9/11/19 9:30 AM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> Stephen:
> Replying off list. (like I did in May)
>
> It's been months since I contacted you and you subsequently posted the
> instructions to the list for creating your builds (my notes say your
> email was on May 21st). I really appreciate that "head start." And
> thank you for your time!
>
> I just wanted to let you know I have been working on this off-and-on
> (more "on" in just the past couple of weeks) even though I haven't
> contacted you again.
>
> It's very possible I am tackling something that's too far beyond my
> expertise. (As I mentioned before, my professional experience is in
> technical writing, though I am comfortable looking at code.)

No worries there.  While my background is development the last few
decades were as an Oracle database administrator (DBA) and then a dev
manager.  Thankfully they let me do some of the database back-end
coding.  I still haven't learned C++ yet.

> I am continuing to attempt to get GnuCash to build properly on Ubuntu
> Bionic (18.04).
> I have two reasons --
> 1) that's what I use in my office and want to upgrade to GnuCash 3.x and
> 2) There are lots of "child" distros based on Bionic, so this will
> continue to be relevant to a lot of folks until at least next summer.

That's why I started doing the debian package.  Then I moved up to 19.04
and can't do it for 18.04/18.10 any more.  Still working on figuring
that out myself.

> I believe this week I MAY have stumbled upon the underlying reason the
> Bionic builds fail, but I have not yet learned enough to know what to
> do about it.
>
> I am hoping maybe to connect better to your work.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1) Do you keep your debian GnuCash package code on github or another
> git repository?

I use the git repository that the GnC developers provide for the source
code.

https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git

They are not interested (nor should they) in the debian specific files needed to build the debian based package.
I got most of this from the debian version repository.  You are free to do with it as you choose. (esp for 1a and 1b below).

> 1a) If not, can I help that happen? I have been pushing myself to
> become comfortable with basic git by committing and reverting and
> adding tags and such to my own local gits. I do have a github account.)
>
> 1b) If you don't have the code in git may I upload your debian package
> code from Google Drive to my GitHub account? (Basically I want an easy
> way to literally build on your success.) ;-) I want it in github
> because it makes it easier to tinker with the version control "safety
> net." If you don't mind, I will do it and send you the link. I don't
> see any versioning in Google Drive so I will only have two "snapshots"
> to start with.
>
> 2) Are you using irc or some other service to discuss this? (I'm not a
> big irc user but I realize that's the way to get immediate assistance
> sometimes.) If not I don't mind email. It's a lot easier except I tend
> to get too wordy.

I know that the GnC team have an irc.  I have not hooked up with that.
So far, I am available via email.

> I have not yet put your instructions on a GnuCash wiki page, though
> that would be another way to collaborate.

There are instructions for doing a Linux build already at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building.  This is maintained by others
and I made heavy use of it to get myself to the point of doing a local
build for myself.  Someone else supplied a dependency script for Linux
which I just pushed up to my Google drive if that helps you get to the
point of doing your own build.  Look for
gnucash-development-depndency-setup.sh

Once you are able to build for yourself, then we can take the additional
steps to setup to create a .deb file for others on Ubuntu 18.x and
derivatives.  This group can provide a lot of help to get you setup to
compile locally for yourself.

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM