[GNC-dev] Help packaging GnuCash 3.x for Ubuntu Bionic

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Sep 24 19:32:50 EDT 2019

On 9/24/19 1:07 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM Stephen M. Butler <kg7je at arrl.net
> <mailto:kg7je at arrl.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/23/19 10:24 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>     > I followed Stephen Butler's work on the GnuCash lists and hoped his
>     > packaging procedure could produce clean Bionic builds. However
>     it seems
>     > Stephen quit building for Bionic quite a few weeks ago.
>
>     Yup.  When I upgraded to Disco.  It's not for lack of trying but my
>

> You'll see two primary utilities for creating clean Debian / Ubuntu
> build environments: pbuilder and sbuild. (You'll also see mentions of
> cowbuilder -- that's a pbuilder wrapper that invokes cowdancer --

The launchpad folks indicate that sbuild is similar to what they use to
create their debian packages for the PPA environments.

> I find that once sbuild is set up (including a local package
> repository) it seems quite user friendly -- for example I don't have
> to remember to update the packages in the chroot -- the system
> automatically does so whenever I run a process in them. It's also dead
> simple to create and remove build chroot environments, by release name
> (such as "disco" "buster," etc.). But it's been awhile now since I
> played with pbuilder and maybe they've added that feature too. Both
> seem to be actively developed.

I have manged to install and create schroot environments for disco and
bionic.  However, I am having troubles with sbuild (doesn't do what I
think it should) and attempts to fall back to my dpkg-buildpackage
standby doesn't work either.  Right now it complains about the locale
not being setup correctly.  Still scratching my head over that one.  One
web site said to install the equates in /etc/environment.  But that
didn't work inside the schroot environment.

I get a lot of these when running "fakeroot debian/rules clean".

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
    LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8",
    LC_ALL = "en_US.UTF-8",
    LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"

Works fine when I'm not in an schroot environment.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net